- Deepcut soldier 'ordered to have sex with another squaddie before she died' inquest hears
- Was girl soldier's death covered up because she was raped on orders of Army top brass?
- Rotherham child abuse trial: four men and two women found guilty
- Child abuse royal commission: Former Ballarat Bishop Ronald Mulkearns apologises for his handling of abuse allegations
Deepcut soldier 'ordered to have sex with another squaddie before she died' inquest hears
A TEENAGED female soldier was ordered to have sex with another squaddie the night before she died, an inquest heard.
By Peter Henn Wed, Feb 24, 2016
Private Cheryl James, 18, was found with a fatal bullet wound in Deepcut barracks, Surrey, in November 1995.
She was one of four recruits to die at the army training camp over the space of seven years.
Fellow soldier Mark Beards told Woking Coroner's Court that she had confided in him about the order and he had been "destroyed" by "carrying the guilt" of her death for 20 years.
But under cross-examination he was accused of being "a liar and a fantasist".
He was also accused of assuming that Pte James was referring to sex the night before her death when she never used the word.
He told the inquest he bumped into Pte James at around 11.10pm and she told him she had been ordered by Sergeant Andrew Gavaghan to go into a room with Pte Ian Atkinson - known as Aki - to have sex.
He said: "I asked her what she was doing there and she said she had to meet Aki. I asked her why she had to meet Aki and she explained to me she had to go into the room with him.
"I asked her, 'What do you mean?'. She said 'I've got to do it'....
Was girl soldier's death covered up because she was raped on orders of Army top brass?
THE death of a teenage soldier at a notorious army barracks where three other youngsters also died may have been covered up by the establishment because she was raped on the orders of her officers, it was claimed today.
By Nick Gutteridge Mon, Jan 25, 2016
Police and army officials have conspired to keep the truth about the supposed suicide of 18-year-old Cheryl James from ever coming to light according to her family, who have fought a 20-year battle for justice.
But new evidence has now emerged suggesting that the young Private may have been ordered to sleep with a male colleague in the hours before her death by bullying officers who were "pimping out" female recruits at the infamous Deepcut barracks in Surrey.
The latest claims will rock the military and police establishment, both of whom have repeatedly insisted that her death was a suicide, even suggesting she may have killed herself because of complications with her love life....
But serious questions began to be asked several years later when it emerged that four young recruits had all died at the same barracks within a short space of time.
Detectives came under serious pressure to reopen their investigation after 17-year-old James Collinson was also found at the Deepcut base with a fatal gunshot wound in March 2002.
The calls became a clamour when it then emerged that there had been two more deaths at the notorious barracks - home to the Royal Logistics Corps - in the space of just seven years.
Private Sean Benton, 20, died a few months before Pte James, while 17-year-old Geoff Gray died in September 2001.
Surrey Police, which has been savagely criticised over its bungled investigations of the deaths, was then forced to admit that it had received almost 60 allegations of bullying and sexual assaults at the base in 1995 alone.
Her family are hoping that the truth will finally come out after a High Court judge quashed the verdict of her original inquest, with a fresh inquiry set to get under way next week.
And in a bombshell development a pre-inquest hearing held earlier this month was told how the young recruit, from Llangollen on the Welsh borders, had been subjected to "vile treatment", sexual exploitation by senior ranks and may have been "sexually coerced or raped" the night before she was found dead....
Rotherham child abuse trial: four men and two women found guilty
Gang including three brothers, led by Arshid Hussain, targeted 15 girls, one as young as 11
Lisa O'Carroll and Josh Halliday Wednesday 24 February 2016
Six men and women were found guilty of offences relating to the sexual exploitation of teenage girls in Rotherham, as it emerged that the conduct of more than 50 officers from South Yorkshire who had dealt with the victims is now under investigation.
A gang of three brothers, their uncle and two women were found guilty of 55 serious offences, some of which lay undetected for almost 20 years. They targeted 15 vulnerable girls, one as young as 11, and subjected them to brutal and degrading acts between 1987 and 2003 including rape, forced prostitution, indecent assault and false imprisonment.
Allegations by victims that those found guilty – Arshid, Basharat and Bannaras Hussain, their uncle Qurban Ali and their associates Karen MacGregor and Shelley Davies – were able to commit crimes for so long with apparent impunity are now the focus of two separate investigations into the police.
It can now be reported that the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has launched 55 separate investigations into how South Yorkshire police dealt with victims, in one of the biggest inquiries into potential neglect of duty and corruption in recent policing history.
The police watchdog said that 46 misconduct notices had already been served on 26 officers, and warned the figure could increase. It is understood that more than 50 officers are being investigated. Complaints cover “a range of allegations from a failure to act on reported child sexual exploitation to corruption by police officers,” it said....
Child abuse royal commission: Former Ballarat Bishop Ronald Mulkearns apologises for his handling of abuse allegations
By Margaret Paul and staff 2/25/16
Former Catholic bishop Ronald Mulkearns has told a royal commission he is not sure if he knew child abuse was a crime during his time in charge of the Ballarat diocese, but he knew it was wrong.
The former bishop made his much-anticipated appearance at the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse via videolink from the nursing home in which he now lives.
Until now Bishop Mulkearns had been excused from giving evidence because he was too sick.
Asked if he referred paedophile Gerald Ridsdale for help because he knew he was abusing children, he said yes.
Bishop Mulkearns told the hearing he never asked priests directly if they were abusers but instead got reports from psychologists.
He conceded the only reason he sent priests off for treatment was because he believed they had been offending.
"I didn't really know what to do or how to do it," he said.
He apologised on Thursday for the way he handled complaints of abuse in his diocese....