Former Subway spokesman Jared Fogle to plead guilty in child abuse case
Fogle agrees to plead guilty to allegations he paid for sex acts with minors and received child abuse images, and to pay $1.4m in restitution to 14 victims
Mahita Gajanan and agencies
Wednesday 19 August 2015
Longtime Subway sandwich pitchman Jared Fogle has agreed to plead guilty to allegations that he paid for sex acts with minors and received child abuse images that he knew had been secretly produced by the former director of his charitable foundation, federal prosecutors said in court documents released on Wednesday.
Fogle will plead guilty to one count each of travelling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor and the distribution and receipt of child abuse images after appearing in court in Indianapolis on Wednesday morning.
Prosecutors said that under the plea deal, each side will seek a sentence from 5 to 12.5 years in prison. Further hearing dates have not yet been decided.
Court documents said Fogle agrees to pay $1.4m in restitution to 14 minor victims, who will each receive $100,000. Fogle will also be required to register as a sex offender and undergo treatment for sexual disorders....
Federal prosecutors allege in the documents that the married father of two travelled to pay for sex acts, including with minors, from 2007 until as recently as June and that he repeatedly planned business trips to coincide with his sexual pursuits.
On 3 November 2012, Fogle allegedly paid a 17-year-old girl who he had found online to engage in sex acts while he was staying at the Plaza Hotel in New York City, according to the papers. Several months later, he again paid her for sex acts while staying at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, according to the document, which says the girl told Fogle her age when they first met and that he knew she was a minor.
After the first meeting, the document said, Fogle texted the girl and offered to pay her a fee if she could find him another underage girl to pay for sex acts.
During these discussions, Fogle “stated that he would accept a 16-year-old girl, while stating that the younger the girl, the better”, the document said.
Between 2011 and 2013, Fogle also repeatedly sent text messages to other escorts, “soliciting them to provide him with access to minors as young as 14 to 15 years”, the document said, adding that he would only make such requests after engaging in sex acts with the escorts to “insure that they were not undercover police officers”.
The document also alleged that Fogle on multiple occasions received sexually explicit images and videos produced by Russell Taylor, 43, who ran the charitable Jared Foundation. The foundation sought to raise awareness about childhood obesity and arranged for Fogle to visit schools and urge children to adopt healthy eating and exercise habits....
Court documents of Jared Fogle case