Saturday, September 4, 2010

Adult services censored on Craigslist, Children among 100s raped in Congo, U.N. says

Adult services censored on Craigslist By the CNN Wire Staff
September 4, 2010 (CNN) -- Embattled online classified service Craigslist apparently made a change to its website early Saturday, censoring its adult services section. The section that usually reads "adult services" was replaced by the word "censored." It was not immediately clear whether Craigslist removed the adult services and replaced them with the "censored" section that had a link that was not active. But for users who accessed the account outside the U.S., the erotic services link was still active. Craigslist representatives were not immediately available for comment. The website has been under fire for allegations that it promotes prostitution. Last week, attorneys general in 17 states banded together to urge Craigslist to discontinue its adult services. "The increasingly sharp public criticism of Craigslist's Adult Services section reflects a growing recognition that ads for prostitution -- including ads trafficking children -- are rampant on it," the attorneys general said in a Tuesday letter to Craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster and Founder Craig Newmark.

Children among hundreds raped in Congo, U.N. says By the CNN Wire Staff September 4, 2010 (CNN) -- More than two dozen children were among the hundreds raped by armed rebels in the war-torn eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the United Nations said.
Twenty-seven minors, including one boy, were among the victims, the U.N. said Friday. One attempted rape was also reported.
The children were among 240 people raped by Rwandan and Congolese rebels who raided villages in North Kivu province between July 30 and August 3, aid groups said. Attackers blocked roads and prevented villagers from reaching outside communications. Many homes were also looted.

Many of the victims were raped by two to six men, according to the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
MONUSCO, the United Nations peacekeeping force in the country, raised the number of victims after earlier reports put it at 156.
Since the rapes were first publicly reported on August 22, more victims have come forward, the force said.

No comments: